George County public schools closed on Friday | Schools
George County Public Information Office:
Road closures across the County
• All George County public schools will remain CLOSED on Friday, August 31 for students and staff members due to hazardous road conditions. All schools will reopen on Tuesday, Sept. 4 with normal operating hours.
• Weather permitting; the George County versus Greene County high school football game will be rescheduled for Saturday, Sept. 1 at 1 p.m. at Gill Martin Stadium.
• County road crews have partially closed eight roadways across the county due to damage caused by Tropical Storm Isaac, including:
Corley Road, Hancock Road, Hopper Road, Moffett Road, Moffett Annex Road, Pat Eubanks Road, Shipman Road, and Vickery Lane.
• More than a dozen County roadways are listed as “Hazardous but Passable” by road crews. Officials are asking residents to avoid these roads or to drive with extreme care on:
Hwy 613 @ Evanston Rd
Hwy 613 @ Ward Pineview Rd
Hwy 613 @ Weeks Rd
New Hope Church Rd
Dean Nursery Rd
Gerald Berry Rd
Glen Vincent Rd
Brushy Creek Rd (near the Brushy Creek Bridge)
Lloyd Eubanks Rd
Eubanks Quarters Rd
Lloyd Eubanks Rd
Pee Wee Miller Rd
East Wilkerson Ferry Rd
• The County received more than 50 reports today from property owners of washed out driveways, culverts, and drainage ditches across all five beats.
• GC Chancery Clerk Cammie Brannan-Byrd has extended the deadline to pay 2009 back property taxes until Friday, Aug. 31 for property owners in response to severe weather conditions. The Chancery Clerk Office is located inside the George County Courthouse on Cox Street. All County offices will reopen tomorrow (Friday, Aug. 31) with regular hours.
• GC Solid Waste resumed household garbage pickup today with the “Tuesday” routes. County crews will run the “Wednesday” route tomorrow. Crews will also work this weekend to catch up on missed routes.
• So far, almost 14.5 inches of rainfall from Tropical Storm/Hurricane Isaac has been recorded near Lucedale. County Supervisors have also responded to almost a dozen reports of downed trees over roadways.
All official County announcements and news releases will come from the County’s Emergency Management Office and/or Public Information Office.
Information source: George County Public Information Office.
Top Lucedale Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Moss Point School District student honored to academic achievement
- Broomfield beats Moss Point mayoral incumbent Aneice Liddell
- April Employees of the Month Honored
- Moss Point High School Alumni Daniel Roberts Leads his Way to the White House
- Moss Point residents frustrated by 2nd flood in less than a year
- 2nd Annual 5.5 mile “Alzheimer’s Walk for the Cure” fundraiser is June 15
- Deputies discover drugs, firearms following traffic stop
- Vancleave Middle School rallying around student with brain tumor
- Two men accused of stealing from Vancleave man
- Women’s Fund of Mississippi Journeys to Gulfport/Biloxi for Economic Security for Women